Friday, May 14, 2010

Made it!

Hi everyone!
I arrived safe and sound two days ago and have already learned and experienced so much! It has been somewhat overwhelming so far to adapt to such a new climate and culture, but I think with everyday I will start to feel more comfortable. The hardest obstacle is overcoming the heat- 100 degrees with 80 percent humidity has turned me into a sweating machine. I am staying in a traditional Cambodian house, which is very different than anything I have ever seen. In Phnom Pehn, most houses are more like apartment buildings in the U.S.- there are many "houses" within one large building, with a very small width and depth but at least 4 stories high. The ground floor consists of a small living area and kitchen, and then up incredibly steep flights of stairs are many sets of bedrooms. I am on the third floor of the house, in which I have my own room. It is very hot in the house, but I do have a fan. There are 6 other girls (they are all medical students in their 20s) living here, as well as 3 men who are all relatives of John and Thierry, the people who own the house but live in another house in the city nearby. Most of my Cambodian roommates speak a little English, enough for me to communicate with, but it is challenging for us to understand one another!
I have been touring the city on the back of a motorcycle (moto). The traffic system is exciting to say the least! Most people zoom around on their motos, honking and going any direction they wish with no adherence to lanes or stoplights, and many of the busy intersections are not controlled! It reminds me of a combination between the video game Frogger and skiing on a cattrack at Big Sky during a busy time. There are no crosswalks, so to cross the street one must stare down the traffic and cross slowly, hoping that the motos and cars swerve around you (which they usually do!)
Besides the traffic, the people have all been very kind and the food is most delicious! My new favorite is called chek bai, which is a cooked banana wrapped in rice. All meals have been fresh and very inexpensive. Today I met with a British man who is running an English teaching program that I can teach for starting on Tuesday. This would be a volunteer position teaching Japanese university students here on scholarship conversational English from 11-2 p.m. for the next few weeks. I also have an interview for a paid teaching position on Monday, but I like the flexibility of the volunteer position so I will have to decide which opportunity to pursue after I interview on Monday. I will try to keep everyone updated, but it has been difficult to gain access to the internet. I will also try to post photos!

1 comment:

  1. krist that was hilarious, sounds like an epic adventure! im glad you made it safely, Im in paris right now and head to ireland on monday! good luck with the interview! miss ya have a blast kiddo

    ReplyDelete